Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Monday, May 17, 2010

No Longer My Friend


By Justin Edwards

How many of us are bold enough to speak the truth to our loved ones? I know I have been guilty in not having the courage to talk about life and death to some of those closest to me. In reading Mark Cahill's One Thing You Can't Do in Heaven, God is changing how I think of these matters. As Mark says in the book, one of the things you CANNOT do in heaven is most assuredly sharing the Gospel with an unbeliever - for there will be none! Every chance we have to share our faith must take place while we walk this earth. God has trusted us with His ministry to proclaim His Good News to the ends of the earth, and while we must be diligent in witnessing in every opportunity we get, how many of us can say we have been faithful to witness to those closest to us?

I encourage you to read the poem below found by Mark Cahill. It really hit home for me as I'm afraid there may be someone who can no longer call me their friend because I failed to share Jesus with them. They may be condemned to an eternity of physical, tormenting hell because I failed to obey Christ in telling them His love for them. When I finish the book, I hope to give a brief review for the sake of exhorting believers to be bold in sharing their faith. In the meantime, you can check out Mark's ministry here: http://markcahill.org/  


My Friend
 
My friend, I stand in judgment now,
And feel that you’re to blame somehow.
On Earth I walked with you day by day,
And never did you point the way.
You knew the Lord in truth and glory,
But never did you tell the story.
My knowledge then was very dim;
You could have led me safe to Him.

Though we lived together here on Earth,
You never told me of the second birth.
And now I stand this day condemned,
Because you failed to mention Him.

You taught me many things, that’s true,
I called you “friend” and trusted you.
But I learn now that it’s too late,
And you could have kept me from this fate.

We walked by day and talked by night,
And yet you showed me not the light,
You let me live, and love, and die,
You knew I’d never live on high.

Yes, I called you “friend” in life,
And trusted you through joy and strife.
And, yet, on coming to this dreadful end,
I cannot, now, call you my “ friend.”



2 comments:

  1. I understand the sentiments of the poem and the fear of rejection for sharing the gospel with others. Its one of my weakest areas.

    That said, its good to know that others' eternal destiny isn't in our hands, nor our responsiblity. Clearly God has already chosen whom He will and will not save (Rev. 13:8; Eph. 1:4,11).

    But our responsibility is to go out and share the Gospel, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the Triune God's name, teaching them all that Jesus taught. So it is a shame when we neglect that duty. He uses the preaching of the Gospel, the Word of Truth to save dead souls (Rom. 10:9-14). So who will go? Aren't we thankful someone "went" and proclaimed the Gospel to us?

    I wonder at times, if I REALLY believed in the reality of the Lake of Fire where there is no end to torment, wouldn't that spur me on to be all the more diligent to proclaim the Gospel to lost souls? Do I REALLY understand the finality of Hell? The same goes for Heaven too, I think.

    Its so convicting, for sure. May the Lord cause us to be bold (hey, even Paul asked for prayer to be more bold) and help us see clearly into the reality of eternal torment of lost souls, spurring us on to see the urgency of proclaiming the Gospel. And May God remove the fear of man in us.

    Thanks for this sobering reminder Justin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for making that point understood, Denise. Ultimately, we are not responsible for the condemnation of others. But as you alluded, we are His vessels appointed to share the Good News, and we will be judged before Christ according to what we have done and what we have not done. Let us all be faithful to the calling and put our confidence in Jesus to guide us along the way.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...