Blog has moved, searching new blog...

Friday, June 11, 2010

Lukewarm No More


By Justin Edwards

Teenagers, college students, adults - this message is for you. That pretty much sums up all believers, right? This is especially for college students, as 50% of you fall away from your professed faith come graduation time - Christian and secular universities alike. We are living in a time where lukewarm is the norm for the professed church. Jesus said this would happen as the church age comes to a close. But as Mark Cahill discusses in his message, Lukewarm No More, Jesus' letter was not to the church of Laodicea, but rather to the Laodiceans. This letter is to individuals in the church:

14 “And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,
‘These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 “I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked— 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
22 “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches.” - Revelation 3:14-22

Are you lukewarm? Is your faith stagnant? Do you have need of nothing? Do you have the desire to share your faith? Do you share your faith? Why don't you? Is it because you are lukewarm? 10 out of 10 people die - have you shared your faith with one?  Are you tired of being lukewarm? Jesus says, "be zealous and repent."

This message is a must listen for those who are ready to make a change. Sharing your faith is a command of Jesus, so not doing so is willful disobedience. The Great Commission is not optional. The following is from an African martyr before he died:

Fellowship of the Unashamed

I am a part of the fellowship of the Unashamed. I have the Holy Spirit
Power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has
been made. I am a disciple of Jesus Christ. I won't look back, let up, slow
down, back away, or be still. My past is redeemed, my present makes sense,
and my future is secure. I am finished and done with low living, sight
walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tame visions,
mundane talking, chintzy giving, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need preeminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or
popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised,
regarded, or rewarded. I now live by presence, learn by faith, love by
patience, lift by prayer, and labor by power.

My pace is set, my gait is fast, my goal is Heaven, my road is narrow, my
way is rough, my companions few, my Guide is reliable, my mission is clear.
I cannot be bought, compromised, deterred, lured away, turned back, diluted,
or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the
presence of adversity, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the
pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of
mediocrity.

I won't give up, back up, let up, or shut up until I've preached up, prayed
up, paid up, stored up, and stayed up for the cause of Christ. I am a
disciple of Jesus Christ. I must go until He returns, give until I drop,
preach until all know, and work until He comes.

And when He comes to get His own, He will have no problem recognizing me. My
colors will be clear for "I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the
power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.." (Romans 1:16)


Are you ready to make a stand?


For Media Player: Lukewarm No More
Direct mp3 download: Lukewarm No More mp3

5 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this! I'm stealing it! Keep up the good work brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read the first chapter or two a few months ago, but it got lost in the mix of other books I'm reading. :) I understand he makes the same call for radical change. Perhaps I'll get to it before the year's end. What are your thoughts on Chan's book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it helpful. In an interview Chan said: “As a pastor I hear a lot of emergent leaders talk about what is wrong with the church. It comes across as someone who doesn’t love the church. I’m a pastor first and foremost, and I’m trying to offer a solution or a model of what church should look like. I’m going back to scripture and seeing what the church was in its simplest form and trying to recreate that in my own church. I’m not coming up with anything new. I’m calling people to go back to the way it was. I’m not bashing the church. I’m loving it.”
    It is refreshing to read an author that may critique the church, but does so out of sincere love for the church. Clearly, his critique is not out of a desire to re-invent what the church is.

    ReplyDelete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...